On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 13:27 +0000, Luke wrote:
> The current system also uses some kind of strange text based database, I was
> wondering if using MySQL for the database would slow it down too much?

Which MUD engine are you using? Chances are it's DIKU, or Circle, or
Merc or one of the many derivatives. I converted ours years ago from
that horrible text format to XML... not that everyone thinks XML is the
bee's knees, but it's certainly more flexible than DIKU flat file. MySQL
can work, but I don't suggest it as a straight up format. I suggest
something like XML (or any other flexible markup language) which is then
housed in a MySQL database. You may enjoy the pain of managing 60
different tables though for an object... or not :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com