>> I often thought PHP would be a nice language for a MUD, if one could

>> get the performance out of it...

> Design your code such that you can just throw more hardware at it

> whenever you need more performance.

That's easily said, but a MUD means all the users have to share a significant
portion of your data model.

Though I suspect the bandwidth issue would be the main bottleneck most of the
time...

I don't want to get into this in much detail, mainly because I've spent all of
5 minutes seriously thinking about it, and may just need more bake-time...

But it's not ALWAYS that easy to architect something to be "shared-nothing"
even with PHP.