Robert Cummings wrote:

> 'c...@l-i-e.com' isn't the original poster, I was speaking generally...

I thought he was the one to bring up his concern about PHP and
performance - I could be wrong.

>> That is perhaps a valid consideration, but isn't it easily dealt with
>> by using gigabit ethernet or infiniband or something similar?
>
> We're talking about a text-based MUD here... it's unlikely the user
> has the will to spring for such resources for this endeavour.

I guess my ignorance or age (or both) is showing, I have no idea what
a "text-based MUD" is.  I thought we were talking some network gaming
engine a la WoW and such.

I still think my initial response was appropriate though - if PHP as a
language is a performance concern, it's best solved by throwing more
hardware at it.  If that is not an option, don't use PHP.

/Per Jessen, Zürich