WELL, while we're advertising, tcz.net

telnet tcz.net 23

The MUD does indeed cover many aspects of programming, most of them even have their own scripting language!

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Robert Cummings wrote:

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 19:03 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Robert Cummings wrote:

'c...@l-i-e.com' isn't the original poster, I was speaking generally...

I thought he was the one to bring up his concern about PHP and
performance - I could be wrong.

That is perhaps a valid consideration, but isn't it easily dealt with
by using gigabit ethernet or infiniband or something similar?

We're talking about a text-based MUD here... it's unlikely the user
has the will to spring for such resources for this endeavour.

I guess my ignorance or age (or both) is showing, I have no idea what
a "text-based MUD" is.  I thought we were talking some network gaming
engine a la WoW and such.

Text MUDs are the precursor to graphical MUDs. They have been around for
about 30-40 years now I think. They still exist with various fan-bases
all around the world. They are still a great project for cutting one's
teeth into programming since they cover so many different aspects of
programming. They are usually played over telnet.

   http://www.wocmud.org :)
   telnet wocmud.org 4000

They are however, not nearly as popular as they once were due to the
pervasiveness of graphical muds such as the aforementioned WoW and
before it Ultima Online, EverQuest, etc.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com