Kyle Terry wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Edmund Hertle <
edmund.her...@student.kit.edu> wrote:

2009/1/20 Nathan Rixham <nrix...@gmail.com>

Project: PHP Common Objects and Datatypes

method: for everybody who wishes to contribute, and for everybody to
review, discuss and work on the same classes.

what are they: classes we can all use, that have been discussed, reviewed
and agreed between many great developers around the world.

the classes: all the common ones we can re-use from "User" to "Address"
"Email" "Article" and beyond, also perhaps wrappers for primatives /
scalars.

expanding: extra abstract classes we can also use, common interfaces for
the above; eventually maybe utility classes as well.

the idea wouldn't be a framework or another php classes, more of a repo
full of common classes to save us all some time, and as a nice project
anybody can contribute to and which we can all discuss and debate the
finer
grained details.

additional: these would maybe be best to stick to common usage, so if we
have say a "User" class in our own project with specific needs, we can
simply extend the base user class and add our own functionality.

thinking of putting this distraction and debate time to good use that we
can all benefit from.

would also propose sticking to php 5.X [we could decide a version] and
obviously OO; but then if the procedural guys wanted they could as well.

maybe it's just me, no commitment, no solid work, just bits of contrib
and
discussion / feedback.
Sounds good to me, even if there won't be some classes at the end,
discussing basic needs for basic classes like those above is appreciated
(IMO)

Well, isn't beta 5.3 around the corner? Than why not stick to that and
maybe
improve of some of the new features

sounds good; (discussion begins) - but if we're all going to use them in production maybe we'd need to use say php 5.1.6 or the most common accross all os's and servers..? how many servers will have php 5.3 support from the off (think redhat servers!)

I'm in.

yay!