Gary wrote:
Thank you to everybody that replied...but it almost seems it is making extra work.

I can understand using an include for a menu, since they tend to change often and it is on every page, but the normal content I am not understanding the benefit. If I have a page that has unique content on it, that is to say no other page has this content, why would I want to create a separate file to be included on the page, why would I not simple put the content directly on the page itself?
There are several advantages of using include. I can't imagine an application without include/require/autoload.

I create the database adapter only once per request. I store several application configuration items in a config file and load this configuration information only once per request. I have one layout for the application. Only the content and the menus change. So, I would simply include various sections of the web page in relevant positions.
Example:
layout.php
<?php
include 'header.php';
include 'menu.php'; // menu.php is also dynamic. menu.php determines what to display on the current page. include 'sidebar.php'; // within sidebar.php I would include block_a.php, block_b.php, etc
include 'footer.php';
?>

I put the utility functions and classes in a library file. I would simply include the library.php and use the functions available in it.

I hope you get the point of using include.
What is the best type of file to be used as an include (.txt, .php).

--

With warm regards,
Sudheer. S