On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:10 +0000, Mayer, Jonathan wrote:
> >Thank you to everybody that replied...but it almost seems it is making
> extra
> >work.
>
> >I can understand using an include for a menu, since they tend to change
>
> >often and it is on every page, but the normal content I am not
> understanding
> >the benefit.  If I have a page that has unique content on it, that is
> to say
> >no other page has this content, why would I want to create a separate
> file
> >to be included on the page, why would I not simple put the content
> directly
> >on the page itself?
>
> >What is the best type of file to be used as an include (.txt, .php).
>
> >Thanks again for all your help.
>
> There are some circumstances where that could be useful. I don't do it
> often, but one site I made a while ago was based on a standard main page
> with the content "included" in. The content pages then had absolutely
> nothing except the unique text, so that redesigns to the site were made
> easier in the futurem, because only one page needed to be edited. So the
> entire site was based around a page.php?ID=x with the ID specifying the
> include required.
>
> Such as an example might be a little out of date now, what with CSS and
> so forth, but it was useful at the time.
>
> If I am including a file with password details, I usually make it
> something random (.inc, .sec, whatever) and hide it away somewhere
> inacessible
>
> Gary
> ""Gary"" <gwp...@ptd.net> wrote in message
> > I'm working on learning php and have been toying with includes, and I
> am
> > trying to figure the advantages/disadvantages to using them.
> >
> > I know that using them eliminates the need to "put" the files once
> altered
> > as with a template, however, is that the only advantage.
> >
> > My particular concerns are with SEO and if the search engines and the
> bots
> > can read the page if it is made completely on includes?
> >
> > Any and all comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > Gary

Just thought I'd point out that it's recommended against giving non-php
extensions to PHP code pages. Basically, making all of your include
files .inc without the server correctly configured to recognise all .inc
files as PHP files, you are opening yourself up to possible hacks where
people put the URL of your include directly in their browser and view
all your code. Best thing is usually to name files like this:
filename.inc.php or some-such, and not filename.inc.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk