On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:25 PM, Waynn Lue <waynn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey PHPers,

We've been doing sampled logging to the database in our application for awhile, and now I'm hoping eventually to blow that out to a larger scale. I'm worried about the performance implications of logging to our database
on

If you are using mysql and MyISAM tables, you can try using "insert DELAYED
" method.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/insert-delayed.html

This will bulk all your inserts for writes.

Thanks for the suggestions! Those both look great for what I was going to do. One other thought I had after reading those suggestions, if we're doing web server logging, we can also parse the logs using webalizer or awstats. I know apache provides file size and the URL that's being hit, but what if I want to do custom referral tracking? We append ref=foo to our links to
track where people are coming from, should I look at building my own
solution for that, or do existing tools like awstats suffice for that as
well?

You may want to investigate facebook's scribe as a logging mechanism. It's highly scalable

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=32008268919

Bastien