2010/1/25 Colin Guthrie <gm...@colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Richard Quadling at 22/01/10 11:33 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hello,
>>
>> One of the aspects of an interface is to enforce a public view of a
>> class (as I see it).
>>
>> Within PHP, interfaces are allowed to have constants, but you cannot
>> override them in a class implementing that interface.
>>
>> This seems wrong.
>>
>> The interface shouldn't define the value, just like it doesn't define
>> the content of the method, it only defines its existence and requires
>> that a class implementing the interface accurately matches the
>> interface.
>>
>> Is there a reason for this behaviour?
>>

>> _OR_
>>
>> How do I enforce the presence of a constant in a class?
>>
>> <?php
>> interface SetKillSwitch {
>>       const KILL_SWITCH_SET = True;
>>
>>       // Produces an error as no definition exists.
>>       // const KILL_SWITCH_NOTES;
>>
>>       // Cannot override in any class implementing this interface.
>>       const KILL_SWITCH_DATE = '2010-01-22T11:23:32+0000';
>> }
>>
>> class KilledClass implements SetKillSwitch {
>>       // Cannot override as defined in interface SetKillSwitch.
>>       // const KILL_SWITCH_DATE = '2010-01-22T11:23:32+0000';
>> }
>> ?>
>>
>> I want to enforce that any class implementing SetKillSwitch also has a
>> const KILL_SWITCH_DATE and a const KILL_SWITCH_NOTES.
>>
>> I have to use reflection to see if the constant exists and throw an
>> exception when it doesn't.
>>
>> The interface should only say that x, y and z must exist, not the
>> values of x, y and z.
>
> Forgive the perhaps silly question but why are you requiring to use
> constants here.
>
> I appreciate the desire to use Reflection but why not just define a
> method that must be implemented in the interface?
>
> interface SetKillSwitch {
>  public function getKillDate();
>  public function getKillNotes();
> }
>

> By virtue of something impementing the interface, you know the methods
> will exist.
>
> If you want to make implmentation of classes easier, then define and
> abstract class with an appropriate constructor and implementation:
>

> abstract class SetKillSwitchAbstract {
>  private $_killDate;
>  private $_killNotes;
>  protected function __construct($killDate, $killNotes)
>  {
>    $this->_killDate = $killDate;
>    $this->_killNotes = $killNotes;
>  }
>
>  public function getKillDate()
>  {
>    return $this->_killDate;
>  }
>
>  public function getKillNotes()
>  {
>    return $this->_killNotes;
>  }
> }

> [...]

With a constant, PhpDoc will pick up the value of the constant and
incorporate it into the documentation.

With a method, there is no way to know the return value. The type,
sure, but not the value.

Setting a constant is by far the simplest way to deal with this.

A method to return a constant is one method unneeded.

But, as I've said, I completely missed defined().

That's all I needed.

If the kill interface is applied to a class, then the parent class can
quite happily use defined(get_called_class() . '::KILL_SWITCH_SET') to
see if the class is defunct (or whatever).

Really. It was just the defined() call I missed. Everything is now working fine.

--
-----
Richard Quadling