Hello Tommy,

> The response time, max 5 seconds, will be tested on local gigabit LAN
> to ensure the adequate response (optimized DB & code & proper
> hardware) without worrying about users' connection limit and site's
> upload bandwidth limit (which can easily rectify).  Then thereafter
> will be doing stress test of about 10 concurrent users.  As for the
> major queries, that's where threads come in, IMO, because those
> queries depend on 1 primary parameter (category ID) and 1 secondary
> parameter (language ID).  This particular site starts with 500
> products about 15 categories, without many of those mentioned filters,
> later grew to its current state.

Because not a singel OSS OnlineStore software support  features  I  need
for my business, I am coding  a  whole  "Waren Wirtschafts System"  with
production checkout and an additional OnlineStore where I sell  products
which I have bought in VERY big quantities to get my Endproducts cheaper
in production.

I start with bneary the same requiements as you, have 18 main categories
and each has 5 to 40 sub categories.

Currently I have arround 1700 different products I need  for  production
but over the tieme I count with 30-50.000 products.

The server I will use is developed by my own using  a  Marvell  Kirkwood
MV78200 with an attached Marvell 8-channel SATA/SAS  Raid-0/1/10/5  con-
troller.  This pig has 2 GByte DDR2 memory and beat anything I have ever
used in this class.  It is an ARM Microcontroller with 1200MHz.

The "Reference Design" I use currently can handel more then 400 requests
at once...

If such small machine can handel this, I realy think, you  do  not  know
what are you talking about...

My software (Apache2, PHP5 and PostgreSQL 8.3;  Debian GNU/Linux  Lenny)
installed on this Low-Energy (<17W) machine  can  be  scaled  by  adding
parallel machines to increase performance...

The machine without harddrives cost me in production  of  1000 pcs  less
then 300 Euro/machine.

I am slightely sure, yo make something wrong...

I will not continue to read ths thread, because it is sick.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4miche...@jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193