Bob wrtote:

The real question is whether unicode is even relevant now that the UTF
series is available.

Ashley answered:

Bob, UTF is unicode (Unicode Transformation Format)

Yes, Ashley is correct. UTF-8 is Unicode, as is UTF-16 and UTF-32, which all use different a number of bytes for each code point. Both UTF-8 and UTF-16 are variable length whereas UTF-32 is a fixed length of four bytes per code point.

As is my understanding, UTF-8 will accommodate all the languages (glyphs) of the world and then some. It will be a while before we need UTF-16 or UTF-32 but those are just a larger super-sets.

In any event, I always use UTF-8 in all my encoding.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------