On 22 September 2010 21:40, Bastien Koert <phps...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not at all. What I would suggest is that you create a separate mysql
> user that is used exclusively by the script to do the create stuff.
> The regular application user account should not have those privileges
> at all.

I'm not actually that familiar with DB admin to that extent. I have either
app users with lock+crud on specific databases, or root. As a an aside,
would you know if there is a level of permissions for a user between app and
root that would be 'sensibly secure' (it will be MySQL 5)?

> Another option, if immediate response is not required, is to save this
> data into the system for a cron script with another user account to
> run.

This was sort of my first instinct. I ponder writing a small daemon/cron
that queries a database table (client list) and does all the 'build' bits.
The main issue with cron is that the users would want a fairly immediate
response. Seconds is acceptable, but a 5 minute cron might be too slow.

> Is there a reason for you not to place all the data in one DB and just
> separate them out based on user id, to ensure they only see their own
> data

For legal reasons. Each client must have separate data. I need to be able to
box up all the client data (containing multiple app instances) and be 100%
sure that I am giving them all their data and nobody else's.

On 23 September 2010 18:04, tedd <tedd.sperl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, but from what you've said, I don't think the end user must have
> privileges and the ability to create a database and tables. It sounds more
> like allowing the user to set up his own admin for acceptable users --
> there's a big difference.
>
> So, what you need to define is what the client and his users want to do.
> From that, we can determine what they need.

Depending on what you mean by 'the client', all the client side things are
fine :)
The web front-end I am working on here is for internal use only. To allow
non-technical people to set up clients and their apps.

The more I look into this, the more I am leaning towards some shell scripts
for client management, invoking them by cron. Then if an immediate response
is needed someone technical will have to manually run the cron job. It looks
like the law of diminishing returns for me to build something really usable.