On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Jason Pruim <li...@pruimphotography.com>wrote:

> Jason Pruim
> li...@pruimphotography.com
>
> The server that's running it is a home computer with a VPS installed...
> It's not my dev environment :)

Home computer used for a production environment?  Wow.. I'm speechless.

> The information being searched is specifically phone numbers, and the
> bosses want to provide the public away to browse them, hence the
> pagination... Once I removed a COUNT from mysql it started working alot
> better... So I still need to provide a better pagination system, but it's
> working.

If just showing phone numbers only and no other information, what's the
point since there are already several other white and yellow pages on the
net?  There's even a reverse number look-up too.  There's also a well known
paid service for getting a DB of contacts (name, address, phone numbers of
persons and businesses).  Just out of curiosity, what is it that your boss
intend to offer that would stand out for already existing services?  I doubt
anyone would be sane enough to sit there and just browse through phone
numbers only.  Even if it does show the owner's name of the registered
number, I highly doubt anyone sane would browse unless you provide some kind
of filter/search.

> Oh, and the 89 million is just for one state :) We are talking the
> possibility of I believe 10 billion numbers to cover the US, not to mention
> Canada which I believe uses the same numbering system as we do so that could
> be another 10 billion...
>

> > As I've mentioned, something of this magnitude is better to leave it to
> the
> > DBA and work together with that DBA.  Either hire/contract one or become
> one
> > :)
>
> I'm working on becoming one ontop of web designer and programmer :)

Good luck, that's a LOT of reading.  I'd estimate that's about 3k+ pages of
reading. :)