Johannes Reichardt wrote:
In times of testability and several design patters, the use of static calls is
really outdated.
I understand that you can read and write the invocations of the methods much
faster, but you should think more to the future on that point.
I am not sure if that is true for TURBOPY. It has been "organically grown" over
the years
and I had no scenario where I needed instances. The benefit of more compact code
is worth
it for this scenario I think. The nature of a server request is still very
procedural.
The/my problem with eval() comes from a security point of view.
Yes that is true, if you enable the templating language it is not safe anymore.
If you take care of that it is ok, but you have to know about it.

Your points are interesting and they let me explain what TURBOPY is not:
Just a framework like the ones you are used to. Its concepts differ a lot from
other frameworks, like the idea of "accessibiliy over convention" for example.

With TURBOPY I try to bring back more creativity in the developing process,
allowing you to reach goals in less time.

I've been in much the same mode with bitweaver for a number of years. We have reworked all the code so that it is 'clean' on PHP5.4 but many users ARE still tied to ISP's who having tried to move to PHP5.3 they have rolled back to 5.2 because so many sites simply stopped working! I've been trying to get at least some interest in working out what setup of PHP5.3 will continue to run existing 5.2 code without the problems ISP's are encountering, but in many cases their users are not 'code junkies' and just want things to work as they did. Changing things in PHP5.3 so they could be killed in 5.4 was somewhat short sighted so we are now in a situation where ISP's can't simply wipe out their customers sites so they are stuck supporting and unsupported version of PHP :(

As long as PHP5.3 and 4 are installed WITHOUT using the default configurations, then one can get most legacy sites working fairly cleanly, but its the messages being created in the background that cause an extra load on ISP's and that need to be cleaned up again. The problem is that there is no pressing need to switch over since the old code IS working fine?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL