On 12/13/2012 10:56 AM, Bastien wrote:

Bastien Koert

On 2012-12-13, at 9:10 AM, Jim Giner <jim.gi...@albanyhandball.com> wrote:

Thanks for the input gentlemen.  Two opposing viewpoints!

I understand the concept of using files for the docs and a table to locate them
and id them.  But I am of the opinion that modern dbs are capable of handling
very large objects (of which these docs are NOT!) much easier than years ago,
so I am leaning that way still.  It will certainly make my search process
easier!

More comments anyone?

I got away from storing blobs in the db. I noticed significant slowness after
the db grew to about 12gb in MySQL. Back ups also get affected as they take
longer. This was older MySQL. But it also affected my mssql server the same way.

Nowadays it's files into the file system and data into the db. One thing you
could consider is reading the contents of the into a db field and just store
the text to allow the full text search

Bastien

A very clever idea! I like it - the best of both worlds. Can you sum up a method for getting the text out of the .doc (or .rtf) files so that I can automate the process for my past and future documents?
Is there a single php function that would accomplish this?