Second go around:

I have a situation where, for some unknown reason, where each class that
finishes its __contruct{} function, that class gets automatically assigned to a
variable - other than the variable I specify.

Conceptually (a little bit better on the conceptualizing):

class Hello {
private $_world = 'World';
function __construct(){}
}

$clsHello = new Hello();

echo 'The variable $hello is '.gettype($hello)."\n".print_r($hello,true);

Output:
The variable $hello is object
Hello Object
(
    [_world:Hello:private] => World
)

There is no statement in my application that assigns an instance of the class
to another variable, the name being a lowercase variant of the class name.

Would there be a PHP function that would do this as a side-effect?

I am more interested in learning what is happening as opposed to rolling back
to a previous version. (A backup copy functions fine. A file compare does not
reveal any likely suspects.)

PHP5.4.17-NTS-VC9 (Windows XP-SP3)