I'm fully aware of that.  The issue is not the refreshing (that works
fine)...

Here's a little more detail:

if(!$login)
{
        if($failure)
                // complain

        // show the form
}
else
{
        if(user_is_good)
                // take them to the next page
        else
                // complain
}

The //complain in the else section is this:

Unset($login); // so it won't try to authenticate again
$failure = true; // so the form knows to complain
header("Location: login.php");

Okay.  So, just to clear things up, I'm not sending anything before
this.  This happens IMMEDIATELY after the user clicks on Submit...

What I'm looking for is a way to do this such that the user does not see
anything more than http://host.name.here/rams/login.php in their address
bar when it failed... doing it the way I show above does not work, and
the alternative ( header("Location: login.php?failure=true") ) does not
satisfy my requirement.

So... anybody else?

Ben