From: Philip Murray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 6:06 PM
To: Ben Bleything
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Re: HTTP header question.

Quoting Ben Bleything <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I'm fully aware of that.  The issue is not the refreshing (that works
> fine)...
>
> Here's a little more detail:
>
> if(!$login)
> {
>       if($failure)
>               // complain
>
>       // show the form
> }
> else
> {
>       if(user_is_good)
>               // take them to the next page
>       else
>               // complain
> }
>
> The //complain in the else section is this:
>
> Unset($login); // so it won't try to authenticate again
> $failure = true; // so the form knows to complain
> header("Location: login.php");
>
> Okay.  So, just to clear things up, I'm not sending anything before
> this.  This happens IMMEDIATELY after the user clicks on Submit...
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to do this such that the user does not
see
> anything more than http://host.name.here/rams/login.php in their
address
> bar when it failed... doing it the way I show above does not work, and
> the alternative ( header("Location: login.php?failure=true") ) does
not
> satisfy my requirement.
>
> So... anybody else?
> -

How about using javascript?

For example

<form name="loginFailure" action="login.php" method="POST">
        <input type="hidden" name="failure" value="true">
                [...any other data you want...]
</form>

<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
        document.forms[0].submit()

        // or document.forms['loginFailure'].submit();
// -->
</script>

It's untested, but you get the idea.

Cheers