Justin:

IMHO it would be very difficult to build/use a reliable
spell checker that worked automatically. Natural languages are just too complex
and ambiguous. Look at how often something like Word or Star Office gets things
wrong. 'Hare' is not spelled wrong unless you meant to write 'hair', for
example. And spell checkers can't deal with scrambled syntax, etc.

Go for a human editor if you want something approaching 100% reliability.

Mick

On Mon, 06 Aug 2001, Justin French wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is a biggie, but has anyone attempted to write a
> spell check (preferably english) in PHP?
>
> I'd LOVE something that can spell-check user-submitted text
> somehow, becuase I'm writing a fully dynamic news-based site,
> and the only downfall to the site could be bad content, since
> it's being supplied by writers world-wide, submitted dynamically.
>
> My other option is to have an editor approve each article
> before publishing, but I thought i'd at least ASK if nyone's
> attempted it.
>
> Justin French

Michael Hall
mulga.com.au