For all of my HTML forms, I put in some JavaScript to check and make sure no
fields are left blank.  When the forms are processed in PHP, I also perform a
check to make sure the forms fields aren't null (redundant, I know).

Anyway, on a form I just made, both JavaScript and PHP think the form has been
completed, even when the fields haven't been touched.

The code basically looks like this:

<head>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function VerifyInput () {
    if (document.myForm.input.value == "") {
        alert ("form not complete");
        return false;
    } else {
        return true;
// -->
</script>
</head>

<form name="myForm" action="myscript.php" method="post" onSubmit="return
    VerifyInput()">
<input type=text name="input" value="" size=30>
<input type=submit value="submit">
</form>

Now, the file "myscript.php" will have something like this:

<?php
if (!isset ($HTTP_POST_VARS['input'])) {
    die ("form not complete.  cannot continue.");
}

In all the previous forms I've made, this will catch all uncompleted form
fields.  However, I made another form in the exact same way, and now both the
JavaScript and the PHP checks are failing, i.e. they think something has been
entered, when the field has been left blank.  In the example above, if the
page loaded, then I just pressed the submit button (without even touching the
text box), the neither the javascript nor PHP would catch the blank field.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt