On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:14:56AM -0700, Bjorn Van Simaeys wrote:
> Hey Renze,
>

> Don't you think that checking too much is useless and
> takes a bite out of your performance too? Don't waste
> your time.
>

> Greetz,
> Bjorn Van Simaeys
> www.bvsenterprises.com

That's right... Checking _too_much_ is useless. But you let me how
you check too much? Checking whether or not a variable is set
doesn't take any performance. Getting errors and warnings... that
sucks. Some guy worked at this company who -we found out- hardly
ever checked the results of his db-calls... just because that
wouldn't look nice in his code. I mean... what kind of a person are
you then. You won't believe how many errors and warnings his code
produces.
If you use functions calls and don't check the returnvalue(s) your
just asking for trouble. And come on... tell me how much performance
it takes to see whether or not the returnvalue is true or false
after a db-function that takes up about 5 or 6 seconds. Then you're
gonna complain about the performance you lose by checking if that
db-function succeeded?
Tell me... you have any warnings and/or errors logged to your
logfiles? Or do you have the errorreportinglevel set to absolute
nothing? You ever check if anything goes wrong? How the h*ll can you
guarantee functionality of your site?

--

* R&zE:

-- Renze Munnik