Or put them outside of the web server's document hierarchy.

I'd feel safer with that than naming them with a .php extension. If they
can still be executed by PHP using a GET request, then something could
still be output to a user's browser. (Likely unintentionally, of course,
but still...) Plus, if they're large enough include files that include a
whack of other files, then why bother wasting CPU cycles on something that
doesn't need to be processed in the first place? Just send back a DENY and
get it over with.

Personally, I stick 'em in an include directory and set up a .htaccess with
something like

<Files ~ "\.inc$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

I like having everything like that in the web server's directory if
possible. Makes distributing stuff easier when you don't have to tell
users, "Now copy all .inc files to /some/path and set PHP's include_path to
/some/path, and make sure the server can read that directory..."