On Friday, February 15, 2002, at 10:50  AM, Michael Kimsal wrote:

> That's great for you that you have that luxury, as do I, but not
> everyone has access to their server's conf file.

Whether or not you want to call administrating a web server a luxury is
debatable -- I'm learning new things about it all the time.

> 'Organizing' would be better served with the separate directory and/or
> a prepend, because most directory structures are sorted by name by
> default.

On using a separate directory, that's agreed.  As a matter of personal
aesthetics, I don't care to clutter a single directory with many many
files (as prefixing filenames could lead to).

> The majority of people learning PHP do so by examining other code, and
> a great many do so in shared hosting environments where they can't
> control the server config files.

It is an extreme misconception that this is a luxury that few have, in
fact I would go so far as to say that "shared hosting" is a luxury more
than anything else.  If all you're doing is learning (and I assume
that's what you're  referring to in your post), then there's absolutely
no reason to pay someone else to host your content.

Linux and Apache are 100% free of charge.  MySQL is also 100% free of
charge, for those who wish to use it.  I understand that a web hosting
provider can provide more stability for public sites than a home
connection, so for actually publising content it makes sense to go with
a provider.  But for development, you don't even need a phone line --
nothing could be easier than accessing a directory through 127.0.0.1,
you don't even need to ftp/scp your files to a remote server.

In fact, for development, you're better off if you -don't- put your
server on the net, for security reasons.  It allows you to experiment
without fear that someone's going to try to root your box.

A few months back I decided to learn how to administrate a web site, use
a SQL database, and develop with a scripting language, to add to my
limited knowledge of HTML.  I'm doing it with an old Pentium II with
only 256 MB of RAM.  There's no reason a 386 or 68k (pre-PowerPC)
couldn't do the same thing.  Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP -- none of them
cost me anything more than the time it takes to learn them, which pays
itself back in dividends.  I still don't know everything, and I'm sure
that a competent cracker -could- root my box.  But I'm learning all the
time, and mentioning things like Apache directives (which are discussed
all the time on this list) doesn't hurt anyone.

> Furthermore, because they are new they don't understand the security
> implications of .inc or other extensions, and
> blindly copy code and run it without knowing they are exposed
> security-wise.  That's my primary beef with .inc and other non- ".php"
> extensions.

Maybe I don't understand the security implications of .inc -- I thought
that it was perfectly safe.  Since my php.ini is not configured to parse
files with '.inc' extensions, I thought that I was better off using a
separate extension than '.php': so that the code cannot be "executed out
of context".  I got this idea from a post by Rasmus Lerdorf on this very
list, only a month ago.

Erik

----

Erik Price