Two ways for you:

1. invest $200 (as you mentioned) in a little test server. Set there
Samba (samba.org) and simply save.file-refresh.browser

2. install FoxServ or PHPTriad or something else. Look at the
sourceforge.net. Or go manually installing the three - Apache, PHP,
mySQL on your Win. This is the easiest way.

Editors:

1. Look the list archives.
2. Browse the list archives.
3. Search the list archives.
4. If I ever would need to get a list of possible text editors I would
Look into, browse and search the archives of this list.

5. well, my idea is Edit Plus. I just love it - Its got all I need.

Sincerely,

Maxim Maletsky
Founder, Chief Developer

www.PHPBeginner.com   // where PHP Begins