Yes, it actually would've been should the person who started the thread
answered (instead of a wise-guy saying "That's very helpful" - in this
case, no, it didn't prove to be). That's because that way we would've
found out what exactly he needed ("Of course the change can be only
across a part of an image."). Or maybe he needs some strange gradients.
However, when someone says "Does anybody have an idea where could I find
a code library or code snippet to create gradients to images with PHP
and GD?" I personally understand a rectange filled with a horizontal or
vertical gradient. And that seems pretty straightforward to me.

Anyway, thank you for your input on this thread. THAT was really helpful.

Bogdan