By this point, I am trying to speak generally. Not trying to pick on
Bogdan specifically, since communication can always be improved.

>Please tell me what would be a question which would leave all these
>answer opportunities open while also being brief and obviously not
>being hostile?

Hmm... not sure... how about, "I don't have enough info from your
post to help...  please tell us more about what exactly you are
having problems with?" How does that sound?

That's fairly general, based on a post I saw here recently. Of course
it could be augmented with questions like "Are you new to PHP?" and,
in the specific case we've been discussing, "Are you trying to create
a basic gradient or something unusual?", etc.

-Josh