... and  you could provide hooks so that the billing/sales/inventory
systems could all be separate "modules" of some sort,
and you could add/swap out modules as they're needed...
and perhaps have them communicate thru XML/SOAP, so
that they could be on different hosts altogether.  :-)

There's a million things you could do, that's the beauty
and curse of knowing how to program... too many projects
and ideas, not enough time.

--
Scott Hurring
Systems Programmer