[snip]
Can anyone that has done it comment on the complexities of the upgrade?
[/snip]

Well, trying to updrade on Slackware Linux 8.0 and compiling with the GD
(1.8.4) libraries are giving us some headaches. Some of what seems to be
wrong;

phpinfo() does not show new build times for each compile, not seemingly a
caching problem (we have shut down browsers and then re-opened them to no
avail as far as updated information).

The configure command portion of phpinfo() does not show items we configured
with PHP.

GD throws errors; imageCreate() as an undefined function.

We haven't moved on to our FreeBSD boxes yet.

Jay