There is a download script (commonly used for restricting downloads to
members, etc) on Zend.com... if you can't find it (in tutorials or
articles), let me know.

It should give you a good understanding of the principals, and a decent head
start on the code, as it did for me.

I don't think there will be any problem with SSL (https://) as long as your
server is set-up for it...

Justin