I have no idea what that means, sorry :)

My point for wanting to do this isnt because I really want to make a list of
the home teams or whatnot. But obviously, at some point, I am going to have
to learn how to split different bits of information, how organize them in
certain ways, in certain orders etc. So if i can figure out how to get PHP
to select the certain bits of info, and then organize them, say,
alphabetically, that will teach me how to write some syntax, to use a few
different functions and to begin how to set variables.

in 85 when i had the old Apple IIe I was able to do stuff like this with the
if A$=whatever then goto ...  type stuff and it was easy back then. Now i
realize PHP is not BASIC, nor am I a little kid anymore, but the basic idea
of what i'd like to learn to do is there. So if i can just get used to
working with it, then it will come

-Tree

Adam Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> You can use PHP and file() to do with, along with the str functions, but
> if I were you and you already know what the filename of the file is you
> are working on (or can submit it via a form) I would use the unix command
> cut to do the operations on the file.  Use another exec() or system() and
> have it run cut -d | -f 4 yourfile.txt and then return you the output.
>
> Adam
>
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Chad Winger wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply :P
> >
> > I found it actually. Now I have the apache and php running, and am able
> > run my aforementioned test script locally. I am still looking through
the
> > manual now for the syntaxes and such. I am also looking on the web for
some
> > simple prewritten scripts to run and then try to dissect and
deconstruct.

> > With my little test "script" I've written, there are a few things I'd
like
> > to be able to try to do with it that I think would help my learning
process
> > go on more smoothly, but i cant seem to figure out, what functions to
even
> > begin to try to use.
> >
> > I'll give an example.
> >
> > This is the result of my little "test" script as printed into a txt
file.

> > |Serie C2 Round 2|09.09.02|20.45|Sangiovannese|Florentia Viola
> >
> > So if i fill out the form again, and resubmit, i might get something
like
> > this:
> >
> > |Serie C2 Round 2|09.09.02|20.45|Sangiovannese|Florentia Viola
> > |Serie C2 Round 2|09.09.02|20.45|Gualdo|Florentia Viola
> >
> > So for example, lets say I wanted to make another html form that has a
form
> > field for List team by: and and select either "home" or "away" ... by
> > selecting "home", the browser would print out the following:
> >
> > Sangiovannese
> > Gualdo
> >
> > so now I need to figure out how to get PHP to do the following:
> >
> > #1 look at each line in the text file and treat it individually
> > #2 select the data after the 4th | from each line
> > #3 print it back to the browser
> >
> > It's simple things like this that will get me going. I know for guys
like
> > you, it would take about 3 minutes to type that up but to me its a
little
> > tough trying to figure out how and where to use what. This manual isnt
the
> > most well put together in my opinion, its tough to locate things. So if
> > someone or something would say to me"well for that operation, you need
> > create function_whatever, then run a so_and_so then I could go to the
> > manual, and then learn how to write it. So this is my problem right now,
> > basically not knowing WHAT to learn first.

> [...]
I'd