Heh - I know how you feel.

I'm an ex network tecchie fighting my way through a career change to web
developer - spent some time messing with various scripting tools and so
forth, but never really had any formal coding experience until I hit php
- if you want some advice on learning php mine is spend the next few
weeks/months just soaking up every tutorial you can lay your hands on -
the best libraries are on phpbuilder, devshed and zend imho - altho
webmonkey also has a couple of really 'beginner' ones (hello world
country) you might want to start out with.

Also one thing no-one ever really tells you about this is that one of
the most important things to learn if you plan on building sites with
php is not php - its html.  I know this is a bit duh!, but seriously -
php is about logical structures - and slapping together a few variables
- it aint that hard once you get in the groove, but if you don't know
your html well enough to handcode it and to deconstruct a fat mess of
tags in your head and visualize what its going to end up looking like on
screen - you're going to have a hard time coding scripts to generate the
stuff.

0.02 - actual mileage may vary - insert coin to generate more bs

Cheers
Will