I still wouldn't use XML for this. I mean, all the articles are in
the database, and I'm already using PHP to pull them out and format
them into html, right? I can just as easily use PHP to put them into
all those other formats.

So again, why waste time with XML unless I need to feed these
articles to others, like in a newsfeed situation?