Hello Manuel,

Thank you for your response and the URLs.
I'll check them out.

I believe a newer version would be advantageous
not only because of the bug fixes in the mail function
but also because the developers advocate and advise
upgrading when they discovered serious security
problems in the version my hosting company is
currently using (v.4.1.2).   (The version between
v.4.1.2 and 4.2.3 fixed the security problem, they
claim.)

Two things surprise me.  One is that if the only
version not listed as a non-supported "Older version"
is still in beta, that wouldn't be made clear on the
php.net web site - or somewhere.  (Even the Zend
site says no betas are available.)
and the other is that you have an association with a web
hosting company that "thoroughly tests" new versions of
software prior to installing it.  In my experience this is
more than unusual, it's unheard of.  How very fortunate
you are!  :-)

Sincerely,
Jill