I have a function at the bottom of my script which is called from withing an
if/else statement. If I take it out of the if/else and just call the
function it works fine (except I don't get the results I want). So it
appears where you are calling it from does matter. See the examples below.
This isn't the first time either, I have had to redo several scripts for
this project because of it.  If I'm doing this wrong based on the examples
below, please let me know. Thanks.

i.e.

This doesn't work.                                            This does.

some code ......                                                 some code

If ($bob) { gotofunction($bob); }                      gotofunction($bob);
    elseif ($sally) { gotonextfunction($sally); }
gotonextfunction($sally)
       else { gotolastfunction(); }
gotolastfunction()
some other code .....                                         some other
code

function gotofunction($bob)                               function
gotofunction($bob)
function gotonextfunction()                                 function
gotonextfunction()
function gotolastfunction()                                  function
gotolastfunction()