Go for a complex situation if that's what you want, or consider the basics:

home.php
<?
include('inc/header_code.php');
//
// unique code for this page to be executed before the <html> tag
//
include('inc/header_html.php');
?>
Welcome to our website!
<?
include('inc/footer.php');
?>

contact.php
<?
include('inc/header_code.php');
//
// unique code for this page to be executed before the <html> tag
//
include('inc/header_html.php');
?>
Contact us: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<?
include('inc/footer.php');
?>

If you update any code in any of the 3 include files, you will update the
entire site's look, feel and actions.  It still allows for you to execute
unique PHP code either before or after the HTML starts too.

Strip your site down to what's common, and what's unique to each page, and
see where you go from there.

Justin