To follow up my own posting, I've found it's possible to get the W3C
validator to accept tal: and metal: attributes by using a DOCTYPE that
points to a custom DTD. It's not ideal as you have to specify each
combination of element and attribute that you have actually used. However it
does work and a correct PHPTAL file is passed as fully valid. Once XHTML v2
is available, maybe the validators will respect namespaces and we can
specify tal: and metal: so that they are accepted.

For notes on using custom DTDs, see WDG at
http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/customdtd.html