I managed to get this far since my first post. My laster mystery is
the following two functions

(de mydata ()
        (prinl "HTTP/1.0 200 OK^M")
        (prinl "Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8")
        (prinl "^M")
        (xml? T)
        (xml '(root NIL "Hello Using XML"))
        )

(de mydata2 ()
        (httpHead "text/xml; charset=utf-8" 1)
        (xml? T)
        (xml '(root NIL "Document 2"))
        )

mydata works perfectly. mydata2 fails to roduce any output. Now the
thing is the built in html function uses httpHead quite sucessfully
and if I connect with psh and call mydata2 it prints a http header
that looks valid. Indeed if I take the printed lines and duplicate
them exactly as prinl statements then things work fine as well. I must
be doing something wrong here but can't for the life of me see what it
might be.