Alright, up to Alex but if it makes the interpreter slower then I'm against=
 it.

The reason I'm using Pico Lisp is because it's faster than the
alternatives (Ruby, Python).

Maybe it's time then to start with a Maxi Pico Lisp? You could put the
Maxi version under Mercurial control, whenever Alex releases a new
version of Normal Pico Lisp you simply pull his stuff into your fork
and voila a new version of Maxi.

Why Mercurial and not Subversion or Git? Because it's better, it's the
best version control system that has ever existed.

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/

/Henrik