On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 08:20:31PM +0200, Alexander Burger wrote:
> from the letters A .. O. With that, an object might look like {1},
> {123}, {A45}, {CDE7654321} and so on.

Oops, I forgot the point I actually wanted to explain ;-)

With the above naming scheme, the splitting in directories for blobs
will be handled differently:

If we would split a symbol like {CDE7654321} in the same way as on the
32-bit version, we would get rather long path names

   blob/app/C/D/E/7/6/5/4/3/2/1.ext

and directories with a low branching factor (16 or 8).

Instead, I will keep the complete file number specification (here "CDE")
as a single top-level directory, and then always group two octal numbers
together to get a branching factor of 64 again:

   blob/app/CDE/76/54/32/1.ext

This seems more reasonable to me. Praxis has shown that only a few
database files per application actually contain blobs, so that the top
level directories (here "CDE") would not be so very many. In total, the
pathes will be more compact.