Hi Alex,

> and then did
>
>    $ time cat x |java wl

ok.

Just to note, you are also measuring startup time of the JVM which might
be considerably slow compared to picolisp.  In that sense, your
ErsatzLisp might have unfavourable timings in regard to pure
interpretation.

>> > respond, however, and if I press the button it crashes with a
>> > RuntimeException. Can the reason be that I'm usin OpenJDK?
>>
>> Works fine for me.  I'm using:
>>
>>    $ java -version
>>    java version "1.6.0_18"
>>    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (6b18-1.8.1-0ubuntu1)
>>    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)
>
> I have almost the same. The only differences are (6b18-1.8.1-2) instead
> of (6b18-1.8.1-0ubuntu1) and (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode).
>

>> What is the stack trace you get?
>
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException:
> InvocationTargetException: (jnew [class java.math.BigInteger] (X 'toString))
>       at wl.err(wl.java:64)
>       at wl$39.fn(wl.java:1178)
>       at wl.apply(wl.java:416)

Did you type anything into the text field?  The example is very
simplistic so it expects an integer value in the text field when you
press that button.  It doesn't do any fancy input validation and seems
to be failing for you on creating bignum from wrongly formated string.

Thank you,

Tomas