You get the same behavior as auto increment in for instance MySQL with this
one: http://software-lab.de/doc/refG.html#genKey

I use it a lot in the VizReader code.

I'm not so sure I would've used it much though if I had know about the (id)
function from the start: http://software-lab.de/doc/refI.html#id

In my case it's all about displaying a nice id that is easy to relate for
humans and JavaScript in my non-traditional gui and as you can see both
approaches accomplish that but that latter is imo more elegant.

/Henrik Sarvell