dexen deVries <dexen.devr...@gmail.com>
writes:

Hi Dexen,

> On Friday 17 of August 2012 11:47:55 you wrote:
>> just one curiosity - how would one write a PicoLisp application that
>> recieves and processes (and maybe sends) SMS messages?
>>
>> What would be involved to give the application a 'phone number' (or
>> maybe many) so that messages can be send to and from it?
>>
>> Anybody with experiences in SMS processing? Is that like email
>> processing with standard header and body etc?
>>
>> What if the application is a service and each incoming SMS should be
>> charged by me (e.g. 20cent extra cost billed by me, additionally to the
>> basic SMS costs of the telephone provider)?
>>
>> Not really so PicoLisp specific, but maybe somebody has some experience
>> in this field and doesn't mind to share it.
>

> recently my company has been handed an offer by Plus (polish GSM operator,
> related to Vodafone) for SMS service. They provide you with access to
> a server
> (via https and SOAP available) and with one GSM number and other assorted
> goodies, like dynamic text substitution facility.
>
> Pricing is similar to consumer SMSes. You pay monthly subscription
> (comparable
> to consumer subscriptions), which includes a couple hundred or
> thousand SMS.

that sounds interesting, since my idea involves only 1 sms/day per
customer, so at least in the beginning this might suffice.

> Albeit I am unsure if `free SMS' (with costs covered by receiver than
> sender)
> is available with this service.

Actually, I would like the GMS company to charge the customer who sends
an SMS to the application - their basic rate, plus my extry charges.
Trying to avoid any billing with the individual customers, just with the
provider of the GMS service.

> Seems like a little-hassle, no-strings-attached way to me. No need to
> fiddle
> with actual GSM hardware.

I'm just collecting information right now, since I never dealt with this
topic. Thanks for your tips.

--
cheers,
Thorsten