Hi David,

> > As gui components are typed, you would have to resort to a dumb text
> > field or textarea to show things completely generically.
>
> I like this idea of a dumb text field just displaying the data.  Can you
> elaborate on this?

As GUI components for DB entities are typically bi-directional (DB stuff
is displayed to the user, and changes are written back to the DB), such
a generic field does not really make much sense.

Instead of an "intelligent" component, you are perhaps better of with
some static HTML display. For example, in a standard app, you could
simply do

   (<pre> NIL
      (show *ID) )

and perhaps use your custom 'show' instead of the build-in one.