I too was looking into creating an FPGA implementation of picolisp and am
very excited about this.  A developer board which already runs Linux but
also has an FPGA onboard may be worth exploring.  Like this one:
http://shop.adapteva.com/collections/parallella/products/parallella-16-desktop-computer

Perhaps the picolisp chip could offload calculations to the 16 core
coprocessor for calculation intensive applications.  In any case this is
very exciting for many reasons and I'm happy to test and help however I
can.  Great work.