On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:

> Good, but this is not completely correct. It stores the reduced 32-bit
> value in 'Seed'. I think 'Seed' must keep the full 64-bit value.

Indeed. I'm not used to read lines with interleaved affectations.

> I changed it to
>
>    return new Number((int)((Seed = initSeed(ex.Cdr.Car.eval()) *
> 6364136223846793005L) >>> 32));
>
> which is also more analog to pil32. What do you think?

That the results are analog, but different. To obtain exactly the same
results that pil32,
I had to write:

seed ()
    long n = (Seed = initSeed(ex.Cdr.Car.eval()) * 6364136223846793005L) >>> 32;
    return new Number(n%2==0 ? n/2 : -(n-1)/2);

This is the same trick than the one I used to mimic (rand).
See below what I wrote on april the 26th in the other thread:

«««
2)b) I got stuck when trying to mimic the (rand) of pil32.
In doRand, at this line in big.c:
https://code.google.com/p/picolisp/source/browse/src/big.c#1213
return box(hi(Seed));
In Ersatz in rand (x n)
at this line:
https://code.google.com/p/picolisp/source/browse/ersatz/fun.src#3325
return new Number((int)Seed);
This seemed so similar that I banged my head on the screen showing
the discrepancies between the results of pil32 and Ersatz that I couldn't
make disappear.
Then, I noticed a pattern, that leaded to reversing the sign bit trick you
just explained in initSeed: n>=0? n*2 : -n*2+1;
One the one hand, Ersatz takes the lower 32 bits of the seed,
then returns them as a signed integer. But on the other hand,
pil32 takes the higher 32 bits as n (unsigned integer) and returns
n%2==0 ? n/2 : -(n-1)/2.
Correct ?
A question: why did you choose different implementations ?
Is it for a better efficiency in Ersatz ?

> Again, thanks for the input!

Again, this is really nice to have someone who really takes the time to listen.
Thank you Alex.

chri

--

http://profgra.org/lycee/ (site pro)