Hi Chris and Alex,

Just for curiosity, here is the result from pilMCU and Picolisp:

pilMCU (under vvp emulator with removed ssd-to-RAM init to boot faster)

geo@geo-VirtualBox:~/pilMCU$ vvp -M. -mtty mcu
Clearing registers...
Set stack pointer...
Finding FFFF separator...
Init DBFiles...
Starting pil...
: (rand 0 1000)
-> 0
: (rand 0 1000)
-> 648
: (rand 0 1000)
-> 723
: ** VVP Stop(0) **
** Flushing output streams.
** Current simulation time is 592598 ticks.
> finish
** Continue **
geo@geo-VirtualBox:~/pilMCU$ vvp -M. -mtty mcu
Clearing registers...
Set stack pointer...
Finding FFFF separator...
Init DBFiles...
Starting pil...
: (rand 1 1000)
-> 1
: (rand 1 1000)
-> 934
: (rand 1 1000)
-> 248
: ** VVP Stop(0) **
** Flushing output streams.
** Current simulation time is 592526 ticks.
> finish
** Continue **
geo@geo-VirtualBox:~/pilMCU$

Picolisp (3.1.7.17):

geo@geo-VirtualBox:~/pilMCU$ pil +
: (rand 0 1000)
-> 0
: (rand 0 1000)
-> 648
: (rand 0 1000)
-> 723
: (bye)
geo@geo-VirtualBox:~/pilMCU$ pil +
: (rand 1 1000)
-> 1
: (rand 1 1000)
-> 934
: (rand 1 1000)
-> 248
: (bye)
geo@geo-VirtualBox:~/pilMCU$

And Alex is right, it is all identical to pil64 ;)

BR,
geo

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:43 PM, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de>
wrote:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 09:59:00PM +0200, Christophe Gragnic wrote:
> > Is it really so important that the random generators give the same
> > results?
>
> Not so much important indeed, not crucial, but very interesting!
>
> > I had never intended that. The reason is that the random generator
> > should be as simple (fast) as possible,
>
> Let's sum up what we have now concerning pil32 and ersatz:

The problem is that you focus too much on pil32. I regard pil32 as
obsolete! The "standard" system for reference is pil64. And for small
systems, miniPicoLisp makes a lot of sense.

There are, and will always be, a lot of differences between those
systems.

> And pilMCU ? Ha ha, I'm just curious !

That's identical to pil64 in this regard :)