Hi everyone,

Great discussion, thank you all!

> 'native' and 'struct' do exactly what the programmer tells them. Nothing
> tricky
> or clever behind the scenes. I do not want them to insert bytes based on
> assumptions.

Sounds right to me, no hidden magic please. But yes to more comfort.

Maybe a higher level function "structC" to take care of ISO standard C
default conventions is warranted?
Similiar like we have multiple related functions to handle multipe date
conventions, e.g. 'dat$' and 'datStr'.
This new function in turn might make use of the more basic "struct"
function.

Just a question/idea, maybe nonsense:
Is (struct) really limited to use with (native)?
Could it not also be handy to use (struct) when processing binary
network protocols, unrelated to C FFI?

> You can disagree, but cannot keep disagreeing and maintain the
> documentation related to the implementation  "Creates or extracts data
> structures, suitable to be passed to or returned from native C functions."
> If the idea is as you describe, then the doc should be reformed and
> the user instructed to check the needs according to the call he/she
> intends, on the other hand.
I suspect you're interpreting this sentence quite differently, with Alex
understanding/intending it as a much more general statement (helper to
build memory blocks to use with C FFI) than how Cesar and Andras read it
(helper to construct structs which meet the "usual" expectations of a C
interface). I agree this statement needs a more accurate wording if it
leads readers astray.

@Cesar: If you like to customize (struct) to your needs, have a look at
(redefine). If you want to do a redefine only locally, you could write a
custom FEXPR making use of (patch).

-beneroth