I would do exactly what you suggest, rip out some tools from eclipse
etc, and present them as command line applications, which can
communicate easily with PIDA over simple standard IO. I am imagining
some simple data transfer format will be perfectly adequate to pass
information back and forth from PIDA.

I can't think of any command line tools for doing Java IDE stuff though...