Dear Wiki user,
You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Pig Wiki" for change
The "PigJournal" page has been changed by AlanGates.
'''Estimated Development Effort:''' depends on how much SQL we decide to
- ==== Standard UDFs From Piggybank Need to be Moved to Pig ====
+ ==== Standard UDFs Should Pig Provide ====
- There are a number of UDFs that might be considered standard, such as UPPER,
LOWER, etc. in Piggybank that could be moved into Pig proper so that they are
+ There are a number of UDFs in Piggybank that might be considered standard,
such as UPPER, LOWER, etc. These could be moved into Pig proper so that they
are better tested
- and maintained. This is in the unknown approach section because there have
been no discussions about which UDFs should move and to what extend Pig should
- providing "standard" UDFs. That is, we could decide to include every
conceivable string function, or we could just include basic ones such as upper,
- substring and leave the rest to Piggybank.
+ and maintained. Also the Pig team should consider what additional UDFs
should be added as standard. Categories for consideration
+ include string functions, math functions, statistics functions, date and time
functions. We should also consider if there are
+ functions unique to Pig that we should add. For example, it has been
suggested that Pig should have a !MakeTuple function that would
+ take existing fields and create a tuple.
+ '''Dependency:''' Date and time functions will depend on having a date and