That leaves us with contrib committers.

Can you point to earlier email threads that cover the topic of giving
committer access to contrib projects? Specifically, what does it mean to
award someone committer privileges to a contrib project, what are the
access privileges that come with such rights, what are the dos/don'ts,
etc.

Chukwa was a contrib module prior to it's current avatar as a full- fledged sub-project.

It's 'contrib committers' Ari Rabkin and Eric Yang became it's first committers: http://markmail.org/message/75qvvcigi3qumifp

Unfortunately the email threads for voting contrib committers are private to the Hadoop PMC, you'll just have to take my word for it. *smile*
I did dig-up some other examples for you:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/81122
http://www.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE:-Welcome--as-Contrib-Committer-td21506295.html

Contrib committers have privileges to commit only to their 'module': pig/trunk/contrib/zebra in this case.

Thirdly, are there instances of contrib committers creating branches?

Branches are a development tool... I don't see the problem with creating/using them.

Arun